1. The Membership in Restorative Dentistry Postgraduate Training Program is particularly suitable for practitioners who wish to improve their skills in restorative dentistry and extend their clinical skills to the level of the Membership in Restorative dentistry RCSEd examination.
2. Restorative Dentistry embraces the disciplines of Endodontics, Periodontics and Prosthodontics. Candidates are asked to state which of these three aspects of Restorative Dentistry is to be their nominated subject when applying for the Examination.
3. Award of the Membership in Restorative Dentistry RCSEd is dependent on evidence that the candidate will have completed a period of three years full-time in appropriate approved posts, courses and programs of training.
4. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh has inspected and recognized Misr University for Science and Technology as an approved overseas training post for MRD Examination.
5. Training courses are being done at MUST in co ordinance with professors from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
This programme aims to provide education and training for general dental practitioners to enable the delivery of a standard of restorative dentistry at a speciality level that is recognised by primary care trusts, teaching and regulatory organisations.
This programme aims to provide education and training for general dental practitioners to enable the delivery of a standard of restorative dentistry in primary dental care that is recognised by primary care trusts, teaching and regulatory organisations.
Consisting of lectures, practical exercises, small group teaching, journal clubs and written assignments on the following subjects:
Endodontics, periodontics, fixed prosthodontics, Removable prosthodontics, implant dentistry, operative dentistry and dental materials, esthetics, occlusion, diagnoses and treatment planning, evidence based dentistry and radiology
Consisting of workshops, live demonstrations and direct clinical supervision on all aspects of restorative dentistry including laboratory procedures.
Each candidateís performance will be assessed every 6 months according to:
Assignments and examinations
Log book writing
Individual Course Exams
Critical Appraisal Projects at each Course
Guidelines for restorative residency Ė MRD program
Seminars will be given 4 days weekly for the first year students.
The clinics will be open from 9am to 5pm, Five days a week.
An MRD instructor will be available in the clinic 4 days a week.
A Consultant for each specialty will be available once a month in the clinic for clinical training.
The available equipments:
- Lecture room
- Study room
- Dental laboratory
- Operatory room:
- 13 dental units Sirona C8 and Adec
- 2 Professional dental microscopes
- Light cure devices
- Intraoral and Extraoral X-ray units
- Ultrasonic scalers
- Professional specific tips for ultrasonic scalars (endodontics , prosthodontics, periodontics and Implants).
- Physiodispenser motors for implant placement
- Surgical kits for implants
- Osteotomes and expanders
- Apex locators
- Endodontic surgical kit
- Retrograde filling kit
- Endodontic motor for Rotary instruments
- Semiadjustable articulators and Facebows
- Thermoplasticised obturation system(Thermafill, system B, obtura II ).
- Intra-oral demonstration camera
To attend all academic courses and seminars on a daily basis.
To pass exams given at the end of each course.
To actively participate in the departmental weekly seminar and restorative meetings.
Prior to start the program
Each candidate should posses:
- A set of scalers & curettes, high speed and air motor hand piece.
- Digital camera and mirrors that can perform intra oral photos.
- All materials and instruments needed for the treatment of patients
Requirements of the program
First year students
- All cases have to be diagnosed and started under the supervision of a specific consultant and an MRD Instructor and it is the responsibility of each resident to ascertain that the treatment plan and any necessary extraction letters to be signed by each specialty faculty to allow adequate exposure to different treatment modalities & techniques.
- All treatment procedures should be done by the resident himself and documented in the corresponding patients chart dated and finally acquit signed by the consultant
- Second year students:
Each candidate is required to prepare four fully documented case histories.
- General cases "the long cases"
Two of the case history should each describe the examination , diagnosis ,treatment planning and management of a patient who has received general restorative care of an advanced nature possibly including medical problems and/or a multidisciplinary dental approach .
- Specialty cases " the short cases"
The other two cases should each describe the examination, diagnosis, treatment planning and management of a complex problem within field of the candidate's nominated subject.
Each of the four fully documented case histories should be submitted electronically (as a PDF) on either a CD- ROM or a USB stick . Radiographs, photographs, transparencies and any other presentation aids should be provided where appropriate and these should be clearly described in the text. The originals should form part of the case history retained be the candidate (a robust, flat type A4 format with clear PVC pockets is recommended).
After the second year the candidates are expected to have selected their 4 cases which will be submitted to the Royal College for examination.
Within the Third year; the 4 cases should be finalized regarding treatment, at least six months follow up and log book writing.
At the end of each year
N.B.: In case of failure to complete the requirements needed for each year and / or breaking the MRD rules, the candidate could be disqualified from the training course and s/he will not be awarded the certificate of training needed by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Periodontics & implant dentistry
Operative dentistry & dental materials
Fixed & Removable prosthodontics including laboratory procedures.
- Payment regarding the MRD program is made every six months in April and October.
- Egyptians: 30,000 LE annually
- Non- Egyptians: 7,000 $ annually
- Instruments, materials and expenses needed for treatment of patients are of the candidates own responsibility.
Candidates interested in applying for the MRD Training should submit the following (in an envelope) to the MRD department :
- Downloaded and filled application, click to download
- Graduation certificate
- Internship certificate
- Curriculum Vitae
- 2 photos
For foreigners please send the scanned documents to: email@example.com
N.B.: Deadline for applications will be no further than 29th of September seats are limited.
Prof. Dr. Ashraf Fathy Mohamed
Fellowships Courses Director
MRD program director
Facebook Page:Membership in Restorative Dentistry at MUST
For further details please visit: