Mechanical engineering may be the most diverse of the engineering fields, embracing many subfields and affecting all aspects of our lives. Today one of the challenges of mechanical engineers is to invent efficient, low-cost machines that use the fewest possible natural resources to improve the lives of people throughout the world. Moreover the mechanical engineer should strive both to serve the needs of society without unduly damaging the environment, and to produce devices and systems that use energy and material resources efficiently. The mechanical engineering program stresses the role of engineers in planning, creating machines, devices and systems, and skilful management of projects. Emphasis is placed on the generation, conversion, transmission and utilization of mechanical and thermal energy including the design, manufacturing, and operation of the related mechanical devices. The theme of education sharpens the student skills in communication, teamwork, and usage of computers and information technology. Specific humanity concerns are also highlighted.
Mission of the Mechanical Engineering Program:
"توفير تعليم ذو جودة عالية يغطي مجال عريض من تخصصات الهندسة الميكانيكية لإعداد الطلاب لتطبيق المعرفة الهندسية بفاعلية لتقييم وتصميم وتشغيل وصيانة نظم متكاملة للحكومة والصناعة وقطاع الخدمات . "
“Provide quality education that covers a broad spectrum of Mechanical Engineering specialty areas for preparing students to effectively apply engineering knowledge to the evaluation, design, operation, and maintenance of integrated governmental, industrial, and service systems”.
Educational Objectives of the Mechanical Engineering Program:
In conjunction with the University, College and Program missions, the Mechanical Engineering Program, with input from its various constituencies, has established the following Program Educational Objectives:
- To graduate students with the technical skills and knowledge required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and inspection of mechanical and energy systems in various governmental, public, and industrial sectors.
- To provide students with the skills needed to utilize mathematical, modern experimental, data analysis, and computational techniques; and information technology in problem solving.
- To develop the skills pertinent to the engineering design process including the students’ abilities to formulate problems, think creatively, and synthesize information, as practiced regionally and globally.
- To develop oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to work effectively in teams.
- To integrate academic learning with practice oriented experience, in order to promote professional development, career planning, adaptability to various working environments and engagement in lifelong self learning.
- To provide students with an understanding of professional ethics and responsibilities, and the role of the Mechanical Engineer in the society, taking into consideration economical, environmental, and cultural impact.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering:
The degree requirements are designed to meet the criteria of the National Authority for Quality Assurance & Accreditation in Education (NAQAAE), and to provide essential fields of mechanical engineering needed in Egypt, the Arab countries, and the region. To meet requirements and students’ interest in pursuing different width and breadth in the various fields, 10% of the program course requirements are technical electives and senior project courses grouped under six fields denoted by concentrations. The six concentrations are: Renewable Energy Engineering, Materials Engineering, Refrigeration & Air conditioning Engineering, Mechanical Design Engineering, Automotive Engineering, and Aeronautical Engineering.
A total of 182 credits are required for the bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. The following tables outline courses required for the degree,